JOVENES INMIGRANTES POR UN FUTURO MEJOR is a student organization that advocates for the passage of the DREAM Act and provides information on instate-tuition laws, financial aid, admissions, and scholarships for immigrant students.

Friday, November 11, 2005

It takes something like this

This morning, Yazmin- a high school student with whom i keep in touch submitted this piece to us. I met Yazmin through a high school counselor this semester, she then came to a meeting and we stay in touch since then. She recceived the email about the ad just like you all did. I am happy to see the response of Jose, Lupita, Tatiana, and everybody else who has gotten on top of this issue.

I admire her character. I admire the character that you all bring to JIFM. This is why we do what we do..... Check it out:



Many people regard immigrants as “parasites”, mere subjects who invade the country only to consume and destroy the land as Harry Huang, a student at Bellaire, thinks. As parasites, we are “subservient and labor for minimum wage as janitors and maids.” From this unpleasant outlook, my dreams and aspirations become abridged from reality; this fact leaves a bitter taste of impotence; nevertheless it teaches me the values of education that come from enduring the hardship and makes me put twice as much effort to accomplish goals. Any job is respectable including those of a janitor and maid but we are capable and willing to do so much more than that.


Being an undocumented student has placed many adversities in my path. On many instances, I have thought enthusiastically about the future and of infinite ways to be somebody, only to bring myself upon a barrier too great even for my desires to overcome it. This summer, chosen out of a group of the most diligent students at an institute of math, I was expected to work as an intern for a sponsoring company to gain experience in the field of engineering. I diligently worked on my resume, I was prepared for the job interview, and everything seemed to be in place. There was only one problem: I was an illegal immigrant student. I was turned down when the director learned of my legal status. I had anticipated rejection, but knowing this opportunity is given to a small number of students, I refused to let that stop me from trying, hoping for a small fracture in the barrier. It was impossible.


Preston Wiginton in his “Petition Against HB1403” does not realize that we would be doing him a favor. Mr. Wiginton, WE make America (“Texas for Texas/America for Americans”). It is true that immigrants take jobs that are too hard for Americans, but it is also true that EDUCATED immigrants would be more productive helping boost the economy and standards of the U.S. with a wave of new ideas that the country needs, opening more doors to the world. Does it make sense to deny education to people who are willing to do WHATEVER it takes to acquire it? No, it doesn’t especially not if it means benefits for the country.


I feel deprived of opportunities, the same opportunities that AMERICAN CITIZENS waste and/or deny. Because I am confident of the potential I possess, I could not bear to be thought of as a parasite much less function as one. It is inevitable, then, to persevere and do twice of what it takes to educate myself even if it’s not the liking of an American citizen. In the future, I see myself contributing, not consuming, and creating, not destroying, as an engineer, not a maid.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wat up guys, jose here. Im sitting here at my house, just thinking about what I had read yesterday and about the great impact that it could have in my life. Of course it is not like it couldn't be any worse or so I thought that for a minute, then again, I have been proven that I could go lower than what I have expected. However, there's something that I always remember and that you all should remember, The cycle of life never stays in the bad side, sooner or later it will rotate to the good side, so keep your head up high with pride because nothing has stopped usbefore and nothing will stop us now. I was reading the Bible when I came across a verse that made me realize that I was going to be Ok, and it says:
"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I the Lord?"

You might ask, How did this make him feel better? Well, man has power to a certain extent, we can build and destroy but we cannot create. God can, he has given us the right tools to work through this so lets use them. We have made this far with our hard work but MOST IMPORTANTLY because God wanted us to get this far and wants us to go further, so I tell you not to worry but to arm your self with COURAGE AND GO OUT THERE AND KEEP FIGHTING FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE AND DREAM!!!

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that José,

We cannot forget to lift up our heads and truly fight for what we believe is a worth fight.

I think your words are very empowering and i am happy to see that true passion exists whithin us.

I have always believed that whatever you follow with your heart is something truthful and is transparent when you do anything, be it school, family, or in this case JIFM.

Today and throughout the days that we have been working together i have seen that in you and i am truly in admiration of the spirit that exists whithin you.

Gracias.

3:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estoy enonadada!!!

Estas palabras tan maravillosas me llenan de allegria pero mas de tristesa y lagrimas.

I am outraged that the university allowed an ad so anti-education.

I loved Yasmines story, she is not ready to give up. Her inspirational words must be heard by other high school students.

It makes me upset that so many "Americans" do not take advantage of all the oppotunities available to continue their education.

Jose, you also have lots of encouraging words that make me think about how "lucky" I am not to be undocumented. But things always happen for a reason, and that reason is to make of ourselves strong, bold people in the mist of struggling with wny type of ostacles and barrier.

I participate from the bottom of my heart. I will help in any way possible and battle your battle!!


AMOR Y PAZ PARA TODOS!!!

5:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home